Statistics show that most home theft occurs between the hours of 10 am and 3 pm, and thieves look for easy access to homes through open doors and windows. Most thieves will not force entry into your home if the doors are locked. Here are some simple ways to protect your home from theft:
- Close your garage door, even when you are home.
- Do not leave windows open when you are away.
- To reduce the opportunity for burglars to hide consider putting lights on
sensors or timers at night. Clearing
overgrown shrubs or trees will also eliminate hiding places.
- If you do not have a home alarm system, posting signs on your property showing that you have an alarm
system is enough to prevent would be thieves.
- Have somebody you trust watch your house when you go on vacation. You can also have your house placed
on a vacation watch through the Grayslake Police Department.