Visit the museum for great exhibitions that appeal to all ages. Embracing Change: The Growth of Grayslake explores our community’s history from the earliest years to the present. A Good Time Was Had By All provides a nostalgic look at what we did for fun in old Grayslake. This exhibition and the adjacent classroom provide younger visitors with plenty of hands-on fun, including the chance to help make a float, play Atari, listen to an old-fashioned radio broadcast, play festival style games, enjoy old-fashioned parlor activities, stage a puppet show and much, much more. The Lure of Gray's Lake dives into the history of the lake which inspired our community's name. The show includes the science of the lake, sporting events, people, places and adventures. Little lake lovers will get hooked on our hands-on kids activities. The museum’s Annex houses numerous agricultural implements, as well as a 1954 fire engine made in Grayslake, an 1890s hearse and a kerosene wagon.
Search and Share Genealogy Group
Join the Grayslake Historical Society and local genealogists in the museum’s Archives on the first Wednesday of the month at 2 p.m. for a lively discussion on researching family history. Share your own stories or come for advice from other genealogists.
Family Fun at the Grayslake Heritage Center & Museum
Make plans to visit the Grayslake Heritage Center & Museum this fall. Highlights include:
- Nov 10, 7-10 PM--Wine and Art Auction: Please join us for a wine tasting and silent auction of original art at the Redwood Country Club. Tickets are $30/person in advance or $35/person at the door, and all proceeds from the event will help with the preservation of museum collections affected by the flood.
- Nov 11, 10 AM--Saturday Kids! Bowling Games: 9 pins, 10 pins, 2 balls, obstacles... Today we’ll travel through time and around the world as we explore various bowling games. Join us for a morning of hands-on, history fun. Saturday Kids is a free hands-on program series for families.
- Nov 19 at 7 PM—Lake County Folk Club Concert: The museum hosts a concert by the Lake County Folk Club featuring LJ Booth and Chris Kokesh. Tickets: General Audience $18, Seniors $15, Lake County Folk Club members $13. The museum will be open before and after the show.
- Nov 24 - Dec 10, Boughs and Bows: Get into the holiday spirit with a festive display of holiday wreaths in the Heritage Center courtyard. Each Boughs and Bows wreath was created by a local nonprofit and can be bid on between November 24 and December 10. Proceeds will be split between the creators and the Grayslake Historical Society. Winners will be announced at the Holiday Open House.
- Sun, December 10, 1-4 PM, Holiday Open House: Be sure to visit the museum on Sunday, December 10 from 1-4 p.m. for the Grayslake Historical Society’s annual Holiday Open House. Enjoy children’s crafts and refreshments. The Warren High School Alumni Choir will perform at 2 p.m. and Mr. and Mrs. Claus will be available for photographs in the Historical Society’s vintage sleigh from 2-4 p.m.
- Sun, December 17 7 PM, Folk Concert: The Grayslake Heritage Center & Museum hosts a concert by the Lake County Folk Club featuring Tricia Alexander. Tickets: General Audience $18, Seniors $15, Lake County Folk Club members $13. The museum will be open before and after the show.
For more information, visit us on the web at www.grayslakeheritagecenter.com, call us at 847-543-1745 or email us at . For more information about the Grayslake Historical Society, visit www.grayslakehistory.org, call 847-223-7663 or email .
Follow us on Twitter @GrayslakeHCM and "Like" us on Facebook!